11/09/2007

5 Questions with Deitz

It's time to put the man who is synonimous with the line, "EVERYBODY HATES ME, DAVE!" on the hot seat. Today we check in with Brian Deitz, the afternoon drive host on the Kool Kat in addition to his duties as a member of the Sports Krew. Brian is never shy about 'keeping it real,' especially when it comes to the Browns, Indians and Cavaliers. So without further adu, here are the thoughts of one Brian Deitz....

1. Give me your favorite moment from this 2007 season of High School Football.

Favorite moment, well I have to say watching how the schools that have struggled the past couple of years improved. Oberlin under the direction of Dave McFarland winning 4 games. Rock Farlow who hasa state championship to his credit was able to lead the Firelands Falcons to a victory, and even thoughSouthview did not win a game, Todd has that program heading in the right direction. Should be very exciting next season, I can't wait.

2. I'll ask you the same question I asked Don....who were your surprise teams/disappointing teams?

Well Dave, my surprise team is Vermilion. I was really impressed with what the Sailors and CoachHorvath accomplished this season. Beating Midview, who made it to the playoffs and being able tohang with Rocky River like they did shows what Frank and his staff have been able to accomplish overthere. As far as disappointing, Admiral King, Amherst and Avon. There was a buzz around the Admiralscoming into this season, and even thought they finished with a winning record for the first time since1987, I think the expectations where higher. I know Amherst and Avon had new head guys, but Amherstbrought back a senior quarterback who had been the starter since he was a sophomore, and a juniortailback who ran for 1,000 yards as a sophomore. After watching Avon week 1 at the stadium, I thoughtthey could make a little noise in the WSC, but they struggled and had some growing pains.

3. Let's turn to the Browns now, how realistic are their chances to make it to the postseason?

If the Browns didn't have to play defense, I would say they get in. But this team has trouble stopping the run. To be a playoff team you can't have those problems. That being said, the schedule plays in their favor and if they can find a way to outscore everyone, they may be able to find a way into the playoffs.

4. You're Mark Shapiro.....what are your priorities with this Indians roster for the offseason?

Our beloved Tribe. Well Dave, it's no secret how I feel on this topic because it's what I've been sayingfor two seasons now. This club needs a right handed power bat to play left field, and the same type bat at thirdbase. This platoon garbage that we have to put up with every season makes me sick. I look to deal Jhonny Peralta,Adam Miller, Cliff Lee and Jeremy Sowers or Aaron Laffey and try to fix these problems. I also look in a deal to try to acquire another power arm in the bullpen. I along with most everyone else don't think the Indians can out bid another club, so making moves is how this team will get better. That being said, I don't know what I'll do if we do sign someone like a David Dellucci to a three year deal. I'm sick of the nice guy stuff, I want guys that are proven run producers.... I want a World Series. Most of the pieces are here, you just have to finish the puzzle before you frame it and put it on the wall. Oh and by the way, Andy Marte couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

5. Give me some hope that the Cavaliers can come close to duplicating what they did a season ago.

I don't know that I can do that Dino. They made no improvements over the offseason. Larry Hughes was a mistakeand everyone in this town seems to think a role player/6th man AKA Sasha Pavlovic is Scottie Pippen, WRONG. He's not close. If the Cavaliers get into the playoffs, the are in the bottom, a 6 at best. I always thought the goal in the offseason was to get better. The Cavaliers didn't do anything and I think we will see that. The Celtics are better, the Pistons are the Pistons and I like what I see in Orlando. Plus there are a couple other teams like the Bulls and the Raptors who have gotten off to slow starts. The East isn't the East anymore. Talk to me sometime in the summer when the marathon NBA regular season is winding down and I actually start to care.

No comments: